Friday, June 18, 2021

Bones of Contention

I recently joined the Skeleton Crew of a new blogging enterprise - Bones of Contention.

  
The overall goal of the blog is to serve as a repository of reviews written by a group of people who have at least somewhat similar taste in RPG adventures.

Individual motives for participating probably vary from person to person. My motivation is to take a closer look at the kind of adventures that interest me most, to understand how they work, and to think about how they could be improved.

My initial plans are to focus on adventures that use procedural generation, and to look at some of the new "heartwarming" rulesets that are being released. I may expand my list as I go. These are things I've been meaning to look at more closely anyway. So for me, joining Bones of Contention was originally mostly  an excuse and a motivation to actually go forward with that intention.

That said, I think there's something valuable about creating a miniature community of reviewers, and I'm curious to see how our tastes will evolve over the course of the project. Will they converge? Will they grow apart? Will any of our reviews produce valuable aesthetic or game-design insights? I'm excited to find out.

You can read the introduction, and meet the other Skeleton Crew members, here.

4 comments:

  1. Having just read a very impressive review on Bones of Contention, I'm looking forward to see where this goes. While I have seen other reviews that have been helpful, this one - based on actual play - and featuring notes from the players and the GM, was great. I understand that an actual play based review isn't necessarily possible all the time, but I found it very thought provoking and informative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alistair! I think two things we're going to try to do (collectively) are to include as many reviews based on actual play as possible, and to take advantage of having multiple reviewers to create co-written reviews when we can.

      Delete
  2. Very pleased to see this, as I have mentioned on the inaugural post... just sorry to have fallen so far behind on my blog-reading that I'm only seeing it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and welcome back! As you're catching up, I hope you'll have a chance to read my first review, which is up now.

      Delete