Tuesday, May 14, 2019

CRAWL-thulhu

My friends John Potts and Todd McGowan have just published the second issue of their DCC zine - CRAWL-thulhu!

Zine by John Potts, Art by Todd McGowan

I was a playtester and a volunteer proofreader for issue 1, and I wrote a couple sections of issue 2. John and Todd worked as partners with John doing almost all the writing, editing, and layout, and Todd providing all the art. Because John has decided to retire following the release of issue 2, I'm going to be the lead author of all future issues.

CRAWL-thulhu issue 1 introduces advice for running a Lovecraftian campaign using Dungeon Crawl Classics. It replaces the Luck score with a Sanity score, has rules for Sanity loss due to encountering elements of the Lovecraft Mythos, has a list of 1920s occupations for zero-level characters, and has a complete adventure "A Horrible Day at the Dunwich Fair", which I've played through twice.

CRAWL-thulhu issue 2 introduces a skill system for mystery investigations in DCC, has six 1920s character classes, rules for spellcasting and magic, some death & dismemberment style tables I wrote for recovering from insanity and near-death, and offers more advice for running Lovecraftian campaigns using DCC.  

(And I should note, the tables here are different from the death & dismemberment table I wrote for DCC earlier. They're tailored to the horror genre and the modern setting in the same way that my original table is tailored to DCC's regular setting.)

Zine by John Potts, Art by Todd McGowan
 
So if you like DCC or Cthulhu or both, you might like to take a look at what my friends made!

My agreement to take over writing in the future was very recent, so at the moment, I don't have any answers about what will happen to the Discerning Dhole Productions imprint, or what will be in the contents of future issues. I'm sure I will shamelessly advertise here when issue 3 is ready to be released. In the mean time, CRAWL-thulhu issue 1 and issue 2 are available for you to enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Will hard copies be available at some point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I talked to John, and he's in the process of figuring out how to make them available. If I understand correctly, he hopes to make them both available as POD in the near future.

      Delete
  2. Are you still planning on going forward with this? If not, I would like to pursue it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should call what you're doing by a different name, but if you want to write Lovecraftian adventures for DCC, then you *should* pursue that, regardless of how many other people might be doing something similar.

      Jon Hook's "Shadows Under Devil's Reef" is definitely Lovecraft-inspired, and he got it published by Goodman directly.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for replying. I asked because Crawl-thuhu has such a good start on it. I will be pursuing Crawl of Cthulhu as my product, incorporating elements of Call of Cthulhu, Trail of Cthulhu and DCC.

      Delete
    3. There will be another issue of CRAWL-thulhu someday! In the mean time, good luck on your project.

      Judging by the popularity of MCC and the Umerica books that came out of the Crawling Under a Broken Moon zine, I would say that DCC fans have an ongoing interest in mixing scifi, fantasy, and horror.

      Delete